Kiliii Yuyan is a Nanai (Siberian Native) and Chinese-American photographer. His award-winning work spotlights the Arctic, indigenous communities and conservation through photography, filmmaking and public speaking. Kiliii is a feature contributor to National Geographic Magazine and other major publications.
Kiliii’s mission is to present the story of relationship between people and the natural world. His long-form projects present an alternative vision of humanity’s true wealth—community, culture and the land.
Wilderness expeditionary experience has been critical for Kiliii’s projects across the Arctic and other extreme environments. On assignment, he has fled collapsing sea ice, weathered botulism from fermented whale blood, and found kinship at the edges of the world.
Kiliii is a 2019 Nia Tero fellow, Pulitzer Center grantee, and one of PDN's 30. His photographs have exhibited worldwide and won multiple awards from PDN, CommArts, and Px3. He speaks publicly about photography, indigenous and conservation issues, and has given talks at National Geographic and the George Eastman Museum. Kiliii is based out of Seattle, but found across the circumpolar Arctic most of the year.
- Season of the Whale 2019, National Geographic Photography Seminar, Washington D.C.
- On the Sea Ice, We Wear White 2018, Glazer's Camera, Seattle, WA
- On the Sea Ice, We Wear White 2018, George Eastman Museum, Rochester, NY
- Living Wild 2015, PIX 2015, McCall Hall, Seattle, WA
Awards & Honors
- International Photography Awards, 2019, First Place, Press/Feature Story
- PDN Photo Annual, Feature Story & Personal Work, 2019
- PDN's 30 New and Emerging Photographers, 2019
- PCNW 22nd Juried Exhibition, 2019, First Place
- Speaker, National Geographic Photography Seminar, 2019
- Best of ASMP, 2018, First Place, Series
- Eddie Adams XXXI
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2018, Bronze, Feature Story
- PDN World in Focus 2017, 1st Place, Photo Essay
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2017, Gold, Press
- Critical Mass 2017, Top 50
- PDN Photo Annual 2017, Personal Work
- International Photography Awards 2017, Silver, Deeper Perspective
- Communication Arts Annual 2017, Multimedia
- Sienna International Photo Awards 2017, HM, Editorial
- International Photographer of the Year 2016, Silver, Editorial
- Sony World Photo Awards 2016, Shortlist, Still Life
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2015, HM, Press
- International Photography Awards 2015, HM, Feature Story, Portrait
- Communication Arts Annual 2015, Stock
- 2019, People of the Whale, Center for Fine Art Photography, Solo, Fort Collins, CO
- 2019, PCNW 22nd Juried Exhibition, Group, Photographic Center NW, Seattle, WA
- 2019, Stories from the Arctic Refuge, Photoville, New York, NY
- 2019, How We See Ourselves: Natives Photograph, Photoville, New York, NY
- 2018, On the Sea Ice, We Wear White, Solo, Glazer’s Camera, Seattle, WA
- 2018, In/Visible: Diversify Photo, Group, Photoville, New York, NY
- 2018, The State of the World, Group, Espace Beaurepaire Gallery, Paris, France
- 2018, A Contemporary Reference of the Human Condition, Group, Edition One Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
- 2017, Anthropocene, Solo, Shoreline-Lake Forest Park Arts Council, Seattle, USA
- 2017, Ambient Landscapes, Feature Shoot / Black Eye Gallery, Group, Darlinghurst, Australia