Kiliii Yuyan is a Nanai (Siberian Native) and Chinese-American photographer whose award-winning work chronicles indigenous and conservation issues.
Kiliii’s mission is to present collaborative new narratives of indigenous culture. He is fascinated by the essential relationship between humans and the natural world. Kiliii’s photography presents an alternative vision of humanity’s greatest wealth—community, culture and the earth.
Wilderness survival experience has been critical for Kiliii’s projects across the Arctic and other extreme environments. On assignment, he has fled collapsing sea ice, weathered botulism from fermented whale blood, and found kinship at the edges of the world.
Kiliii contributes features to National Geographic Magazine, TIME, Sierra, and the Nature Conservancy. His photographs have won awards from The World Photo Organization, Communication Arts, and PDN. Kiliii is also a National Geographic Expeditions Arctic Ambassador. He is based out of Seattle.
Awards & Honors
- Best of ASMP, 2018, First Place, Series
- Eddie Adams XXXI
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2018, Bronze, Feature Story
- PDN World in Focus 2017, 1st Place, Photo Essay
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2017, Gold, Press
- Critical Mass 2017, Top 50
- PDN Photo Annual 2017, Personal Work
- National Geographic China 2017, Greatest Photographs of 2017
- International Photography Awards 2017, Silver, Deeper Perspective
- Communication Arts Annual 2017, Multimedia
- Sienna International Photo Awards 2017, HM, Editorial
- International Photographer of the Year 2016, Silver, Editorial
- Sony World Photo Awards 2016, Shortlist, Still Life
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris 2015, HM, Press
- International Photography Awards 2015, HM, Feature Story, Portrait
- Communication Arts Annual 2015, Stock
- Season of the Whale 2019, National Geographic Photography Seminar, Washington D.C.
- On the Sea Ice, We Wear White 2018, Glazer's Camera, Seattle, WA
- On the Sea Ice, We Wear White 2018, George Eastman Museum, Rochester, NY
- Living Wild 2015, PIX 2015, McCall Hall, Seattle, WA
- 2019, PCNW 22nd Juried Exhibition, Group, Photographic Center NW, Seattle, WA
- 2018, On the Sea Ice, We Wear White, Solo, Glazer’s Camera, Seattle, WA
- 2018, In/Visible: Diversify Photo, Group, Photoville, New York, NY
- 2018, The Arctic, Group, Albert Embankment, London, UK.
- 2018, The State of the World, Group, Espace Beaurepaire Gallery, Paris, France
- 2018, A Contemporary Reference of the Human Condition, Group, Edition One Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
- 2017, Anthropocene, Solo, Shoreline-Lake Forest Park Arts Council, Seattle, USA
- 2017, Ambient Landscapes, Feature Shoot / Black Eye Gallery, Group, Darlinghurst, Australia